The Sloan Scholars Mentoring Network (SSMN) is a multi-pronged program serving the Sloan Scholar community through a strategic mix of professional development, mentoring, networking and leadership training opportunities. The SSMN combines access to needed internal and external resources with the broad wealth of Sloan Scholar expertise and experience to support the attainment of career and leadership goals.
Since 1995, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation has been providing support for underrepresented minorities through its Minority PhD and Sloan Indigenous Graduate Partnership programs, programs that aim to increase the diversity of higher education in STEM fields. Although these efforts have increased the number of underrepresented minorities in the STEM fields by over 1000 Sloan Scholars, more work can and should be done in order to promote the professional development of these scholars post PhD and to create a robust network of Sloan Scholars who collaborate with each other professionally and foster a passion for mentoring peers and junior associates within the network of Sloan Scholars, within their home institutions, and within their fields.
In partnership with the Sloan Foundation, the SSRC is developing the SSMN to:
- increase the numbers and status of underrepresented populations in the academy,
- establish a Sloan Scholars brand that raises the public profile and prestige of the MPHD program for the benefit of the scholars and,
- strengthen a Sloan Scholar community committed to mentorship, as well as identifying and nurturing leaders to foster more inclusive and supportive cultures within academic institutions.
Programming for the Sloan Scholars Mentoring Network, includes:
- professional development webinars
- networking opportunities for Sloan Scholars, including at conferences
- a biennial Sloan Scholars Conference
- a biennial Recent PhD Retreat
- a Sloan Scholar Directory
- quarterly newsletters
- promotion of Sloan Scholar achievements, spotlights, and featured interviews
- online networking components like LinkedIn and the SSMN listserv
The Sloan Scholars Mentoring Network is administered by the Social Science Research Council in partnership with the National Action Council for Minorities in Engineering and is funded by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.
Program Officer: Alma M. Granado, Ph.D.